[Techtalk] a paucity of available note takers

Pat patday at sunbirdsystems.net
Wed Nov 10 08:21:33 UTC 2010

Hello Anne,
I was forced to learn a bit of vim to run the genealogy app, LifeLines.
Vi/Vim was its default editor.  It is handy to know that one.

Well, I checked and found that emacs also has vi/vim editor emulation,
so at least you would have immediate control at the keyboard when you
get there.

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Emulation.html

Also, emacs has one version (same emacs, different setting), for the
xterm or console.
But there are many improvements to the X version of emacs, and even
xemacs which is evermore gui enhanced.

Escaping from emacs:  C-x C-c
That means control-x, control-c in sequence.

And from editing documents, C-x C-k
which will kill the current doc being edited if it has been saved, else
it asks to save first.

Exit any read-only buffer with just a plain q.

Quit any keyboard command you get stuck in with C-g

Hoping it is fun for you,

Pat