[Techtalk] Ubuntu 10.4 LTS

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Thu Jul 15 22:25:31 UTC 2010

On 07/15/2010 05:11 PM, Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
> Jan wrote:
>> On 15/07/10 19:30, Carla Schroder wrote:
>>> Another thought--  much of the time this is a video issue, such as
>>> slow buggy
>>> drivers, an old feeble video card, or a video card that is not
>>> well-supported. I don't know how to diagnose this, though I know
>>> there are
>>> tools to test video performance, I haven't taken the time to study
>>> up on it.
>>> A quick test is to install a minimal window manager like Fluxbox,
>>> Blackbox,
>>> FVWM etc. and run all your usual apps to see if there is a difference.
>>>
>>> Carla
>>
>> I think you might have hit the nail on the head there.  I (or rather
>> my husband) has been looking through the upgraded packages and it
>> seems that the nvidia supported drivers are almost non existant.  I'm
>> currently doing the trawl through google to find out what I need to
>> make things work and see if it resolves the issues.  I'm aware that
>> nvidia support can be erratic so I might need to do a fair bit of
>> work on this.
>>
>> Again thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
>>
> Hi Jan,
>
> In that case take a look at
> http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rudy

This may help and it may not, but.......................

I have a Quad core AMD with nvidia graphics card and to run Google Earth
I had to find updated drivers. I downloaded the newest from nvidia but
was stumped for installation. I'm ignorant when it comes to command line
use. On the Kubuntu list someone suggested System > Hardware Drivers.
Worked like a charm.