[Techtalk] Ubuntu 10.4 LTS

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Thu Jul 15 18:30:48 UTC 2010

On Thursday 15 July 2010 10:17:19 am rathgild at gmail.com wrote:
> Apropos Carla's message I've already run top and there is nothing showing
> up with particularly heavy use.  Firefox is a memory hound as always but
> it's within acceptable limits.  I tried using one application at a time to
> see if one of them is having a noticable effect on performance but they are
> all as slow as each other.  The load is always showing to be quite low
> certainly no more than 2 or 3 yet it's running as thought the load is up in
> the 30s.
>
> I'm can't give any more specific details about what's running and at what
> level as I'm at work but raised the question because I'm at a loss as to
> what else to look for when I finally get home and have another attempt at
> sorting this.  Thanks for the suggestions they are all useful.

Another thought--  much of the time this is a video issue, such as slow buggy
drivers, an old feeble video card, or a video card that is not
well-supported. I don't know how to diagnose this, though I know there are
tools to test video performance, I haven't taken the time to study up on it.
A quick test is to install a minimal window manager like Fluxbox, Blackbox,
FVWM etc. and run all your usual apps to see if there is a difference.

Carla

--
check out my books!