[Techtalk] $ who issue

Wim De Smet kromagg at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 07:40:10 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 1:13 AM, Anne Wainwright
<anotheranne at fables.co.za> wrote:

> Hello, Anne,
>
> You are a klutz. Check this problem out again, what happens is not
> exactly as described.

Now Anne, I think you're being too hard on Anne. ;-)

> If you connect via any workstation terminal it does work as advertised.
> What happens is that if a workstation is connected via an application,
> in this instance kexi accessing postgresql on the server, then _that_
> does not show up on a 'who'.
>
> Not quite the same.
>
> Without logging on as a postgresql user and issuing the psql command
> '\du' is there any way of detecting someone so connected to that
> server?

I don't think so. It'll show up in netstat as a network connection to
a particular port of course, but other than that this pretty much
sidesteps the rest of the OS. You can run it from the cmdline in one
go, e.g.:
psql --command '\du'

But I assume you already knew that.

cheers,