[Techtalk] periodic loud hard drive noise

Ande's Help .Net Info info at andeshelp.net
Fri Jan 15 12:07:36 UTC 2010

Hi Carla,

It sounds as if the hard drive could be getting indexed.  Some hard drives
are louder than others when being searched by the system for file indexing.

Do you have a firewall installed?

A couple of times, when my hard drives were going nuts and were loud;

1.  Installing automatic updates.  Which I have since turned off.
2.  Someone had hacked past my firewall.  I had to manually disconnect my
LAN cable then clean-up my system and fix the firewall.

Ande