[Techtalk] Router issue

David Sumbler david at aeolia.co.uk
Wed Jan 6 09:36:05 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 21:59 -0500, Mike wrote:
> On December 3, 2009, Kathryn Hogg wrote:
> > Adelene Dawner wrote:
> > > That decision bit me in the butt earlier this week when someone else
> > > apparently decided to set up security for me, on my wifi. I don't know
> > > who did it, or the password that they used, or anything else of
> > > interest in that direction, but I know that it's my personal wifi
> > > that's affected, because when I manually turn wifi off at the router,
> > > the secure signal that I'm looking at goes away. (Needless to say,
> > > I've been keeping it off - if I can't use my wifi, nobody's going to.)
> > >
> > > How can I fix this? I assume I can still communicate with the router
> > > via the PC, but I haven't done so before - a friend helped me get the
> > > router set up the first time, and my main PC used Windows at that
> > > point. A quick google tells me that I might be able to completely
> > > reset the router, but I assume I'd have to set it up again from
> > > scratch if I did that, and I'd rather avoid that if I can - I get my
> > > 'net from Verizon, who gave me quite a hard time about using a
> > > third-party router when it was first set up, and I'm not looking
> > > forward to dealing with that again to get the information I'd need.
> > >
> > > The router in question is a netgear dgn2000.

I use a Netgear DGN2000.  Log into it at http://192.168.0.1, and give
the default username "admin" and password "password".  If they don't
work, you will need to reset the router, which you do by holding the
Wireless and WPS buttons in at the same time for 6 seconds or more
(these are the 2 small buttons on the right-hand side of the router).
That will reset the username and password so you can then log in.  The
first thing to do then, I would suggest, is to change the password.  You
do this after clicking on "Set Password" which you will find under the
heading "Maintenance" at the left-hand side of the screen.

At the top left of the screen you will see "Setup Wizard".  Click on
this.  With luck the router will be able to detect all the necessary
settings to connect to your ISP, apart from your Verizon username and
password, which you will need to enter by hand.  And/or, you can
check/enter the details manually by clicking on "Basic Settings".

All the pages available in the router interface are reasonably
self-explanatory, and have quite useful help information down the
right-hand side.

One other thing you should do is go to the page "Remote
Management" (which is listed under "Advanced"), particularly if you have
not done a router reset.  Make sure either that remote management is
turned off, or that you set up a good password.  You can also restrict
the computers that can get access the management pages to certain IP
numbers.

You will also need to set up the WiFi access pages as well, of course,
assuming you are going to use WiFi.

David

--
David Sumbler <david at aeolia.co.uk>