[Techtalk] wireless home network without router

Miriam English mim at miriam-english.org
Tue Aug 17 00:39:16 UTC 2010

Hi Alina,

Alina Friedrichsen wrote:
> Hi Miriam,
>
> sorry, this was a misunderstanding. I thought you only want to setup a
> simple home network without a router. An AP mode network on your main
> computer is simplest way to do that.

:) No you didn't misunderstand. You got it completely right. I am very
grateful for your suggestions. In fact the very first thing you
mentioned (ad-hoc) is the one I ended up choosing for my sister, along
with using the desktop computer as the access point for the internet.
All the other things mentioned by you (and the other helpful people
here) caused me to spend the last couple of days reading enormous
amounts of information and leaving me very excited (if somewhat
confused) about the future of peer-to-peer wireless. It looks like 2010
might be the year for some really great things.

 > Mesh networks are the way to build
 > bigger networks. You can build a whole city wide network with it, like
 > "Freifunk" in Germany.

I'd heard about the larger wireless mesh networks (most notably in
Europe, and particularly in Germany, though also in many Australian
cities too) and wanted to know how to do something like it on a smaller,
household scale.

I'd love to see free communication, in the form of mesh networks, spread
further and squeeze the crooks who run the big communications companies.

Best wishes,

	- Miriam

--
If you don't have any failures then you're not trying hard enough.
  - Dr. Charles Elachi, director of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory