[Techtalk] what the heck does this mean!!

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Mon Oct 5 21:45:49 UTC 2009

On Saturday 03 October 2009 07:13:55 pm Akkana Peck wrote:
> Carla Schroder writes:
> > > But if you have a kernel that works for kubuntu, how about booting
> > > 64 Studio using your Kubuntu kernel? I do that all the time, use
>
> Oops, I just realized this probably won't work, because the Ubuntu
> kernel has everything built as modules and you won't have the
> modules available on 64 Studio. Drat. Everything's so much easier
> with a non-modular kernel! (See my next Linux Planet article. :-)
>
> You could probably fudge it by copying /lib/modules/2.6.28-15-generic/
> (substitute appropriate version number) from the Ubuntu partition
> to the 64 Studio partition ...

I tried it and it worked. I copied the Ubuntu 2.6.24-24-rt kernel to 64
Studio, plus its corresponding initrd and System_map files, and /lib/modules
directory. Then I created a stanza for it in /boot/grub/menu.lst, and lo! It
boots and runs fine.

I diffed the configs of the Kubuntu and 64 Studio kernels, and the differences
are waaaaay big. We'll see how it works over the long run. It found a couple
new devices on the new motherboard, but didn't make any big fuss about, just
loaded the drivers and made a notification.

This has been an education!

Carla

--
check out my books!