[Techtalk] weirdness, not finding file that is there - Solved!

Maria McKinley maria at shadlen.org
Thu Mar 5 23:37:33 UTC 2009

Juliet Kemp wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 03:13:26PM -0800, Maria McKinley wrote:
>> billie:~/Linux# ls -l
>> total 92
>> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 86196 2006-01-27 11:42 vxaTool
>> billie:~/Linux# ./vxaTool
>> -bash: ./vxaTool: No such file or directory
>
> Have you tried copying the file somewhere else (either/both of in that
> directory, and in another one)?  I'm wondering whether the filename's
> got somehow corrupted, or there's a problem with the directory.  Doesn't
> seem enormously likely, but at least it's easy to rule out!
>

> Juliet

ldd to the rescue! Someone did have to remind me about this tool, so I
hope this helps someone out sometime remember about this tool as well.

On machine it doesn't work on, I get this:

billie:~/Linux# ldd ./vxaTool
        not a dynamic executable

but on the machine it does work on, I get this:

sarah:~/Linux# ldd ./vxaTool
        linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xf7fb6000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib32/libc.so.6 (0xf7e4e000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xf7fb7000)

So, I looked to see what package they were from, installed libc6-i386,
and viola, it works!

cheers,
maria