[Techtalk] Program to determine IPs used in a network

Chris Wilson chris+linuxchix at aptivate.org
Sun Jun 21 18:41:27 UTC 2009

Hi Michael,

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009, Michael Fisher wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 11:16 PM, Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net>wrote:
>
> > > The first Digi tool that is Windows-centric is a program that
> > > determines the IP address the gateway uses. What I am looking for is
> > > a package that analyzes a network and lets me know the who, what and
> > > where in regards to IP addresses on a local network. Anyone have any
> > > ideas?
> > >
> > > What I am looking for is to be able to see all of the IP addresses
> > > currently in use so I can make the determinatiion on which one is
> > > the XBee gateway without logging into my router.
> >
> > Well, nmap is probably the tool you want here.  I think it is likely,
> > in fact, that it can perform the same scan (for an appropriate open
> > port) automatically, but it can also provide a "which hosts exist"
> > scan.
> >
> > Do you know what the Windows software is actually looking for on the
> > network? Just an ICMP response, or a specific port, or a magic packet,
> > or?
>
> Thanks Daniel, I will try nmap in the morning and continue on with the steps
> in bringing up the system. My guess is the windows program is looking for a
> specific port but I don't know which one yet.

You could use Wireshark on a Windows machine (or virtual machine) to watch
the network traffic that the program exchanges with the XBee and reverse
engineer it.

If you don't have a windows machine, you can download a free trial of
Windows Server 2008 from Microsoft's website, good for 60 days without
activation. And then you can reinstall it if you need another 60 days,
etc. as long as you never activate it.

Cheers, Chris.
--
Aptivate | http://www.aptivate.org | Phone: +44 1223 760887
The Humanitarian Centre, Fenner's, Gresham Road, Cambridge CB1 2ES

with company number 04980791.