[Techtalk] Navigating dependencies (Ubuntu/Easy Peasy)

Wim De Smet kromagg at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 18:24:58 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 7:59 PM, Akkana Peck<akkana at shallowsky.com> wrote:
> Amanda Babcock Furrow writes:
>> when I run ./configure to create the makefile, it says:
>>
>> configure: error: dbus-glib >= 0.73 is required
>>
>> which appears to happen because 'pkg-config  --exists --print-errors
>> "dbus-glib-1 >= 0.73"' fails.  But I do have a package installed as
>> libdbus-glib-1-2, with version 0.76-1, so unleess that is a
>> different package, the test shouldn't fail.
>
> Often messages like that mean you need a -dev package.
> Do you have libdbus-glib-1-dev installed? That might be
> what it wants.
>
> There's a great program called apt-file you can use to find
> out what package should provide a file. Install apt-file,
> run apt-file update (will take quite a while the first time),
> then any time after that you can run a command like
>
> apt-file search dbus-glib-1.pc
>
> and it will tell you it should come from the libdbus-glib-1-dev package.

Correct, of course. Now apt-get already has a way of knowing all the
build dependencies for a specific package, so you might be able to
just get all those dev packages you need with:
apt-get build-dep bluez-gnome

As an aside, I think you'd be better off getting the source package
for bluez-gnome (apt-get source bluez-gnome) and patching that. Run
(fakeroot) debian/rules binary from its top-level directory, install
it with dpkg Then put it on hold in your favourite package manager so
that updates don't override it. This way, if you later want to upgrade
the package to a newer version that has the patches you need already
in it, you can just use the package manager to upgrade it. This will
make your life a lot easier.

regards,
Wim