[Techtalk] Way to not organise a mail server

Ricardo Dalceno rddalceno at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 00:50:16 UTC 2009

Hi Anne,

Use the /home/<insert username here>/Maildir (if your MUA supports Maildir)
or /home/<insert username here>/.mbox. Its easier then sharing
/var/mail/whatever.
But, IMHO, the best way is setting up an IMAP server like courier-imap. The
mail still resides on the server in the users home directory, but you dont
need to a share (NFS or Samba) to get your mailsystem working. It's more
secure and provides more features.
BTW, if you are going to use some kindo of SMTP server too, I recomend using
Postfix. Easier to configure, very robust, well documented and it has a lot
of HOWTO's (google for it) that you can use to integrate it with Anti-Virus
and/or Anti-Spam systems.

Good luck ;-)

Ricardo 'j0k3r' Dalceno