[Techtalk] adventures with mad RAMS

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Fri Jan 16 04:08:53 UTC 2009

heya,

I am being foiled by mad RAMs. I have one system that has two DDR2 slots,
dual-channel. Originally it had just one stick of RAM, and I wanted more so I
ordered a second one the same size, specs, and brand. There is a nice label
right on it so I had all the right numbers for matching it. When I installed
it the system behaved as though there were no memory at all-- it powers up,
but the keyboard does not light up and the monitor stays black.

So I removed the new RAM module, and now the old one appears to be fried.
Power up, no  boot, no screen. I tried every possible combination of RAM
modules and slots. I am always very careful of static and work on an
anti-static mat.

Anyone have wise advice? Should I order two new memory modules and start
fresh, or is this indicative of other problems? The mainboard is about a year
old, the memory modules are Kingston KVR800D2, 1GB each. Howcome the original
one went blooey? Why does this always happen when I have deadlines?

The mainboard is a Gigabyte GA-M61SME-S2, about a year old.

thanks!
Carla
--
check out my books!