[Techtalk] Slow booting since installing NFS daemons

Joana Botto joana.botto at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 21:53:40 UTC 2009

Hi,

When the NFS server daemon has a request, it first looks at the
current list of exports, /etc/exports and then it looks up the
client's ip to find its host name. This requires a reverse DNS lookup.
So if you don't have a DNS server on your network, check /etc/hosts.

The host is then checked against the list of exports. If NFS can't
find the host name, the acess will be deny to the client and an entry
is added on /var/log/messages, "request from unknown host".

Also you could try using the soft-mounted NFS filesystem when
mounting, so if the server fails, a soft-mounted NFS filesystem will
fail rather than hang. You also can set the timeo option to set a
timeout interval.

Here is an example:

# mount -o soft,timeo=300 server_name:/home /nfs/home

I hope this help.

Best regards,
Joana Botto