[Techtalk] method to replace bad disk

Anne Wainwright anotheranne at fables.co.za
Sun Jan 4 18:50:39 UTC 2009

Hi,

Good advise from the girls about getting your data off. I have used knoppix and also R.I.P with success in the past. R.I.P. is full of repair utilities that promise to poke into and fix most things.

If you want to try an all windows procedure then Maxstor provide free software called MaxBlast that takes off data into an image, lets you mount and validate that image as a virtual drive, then writes the image to another drive.

good luck
Anne

On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 19:41:23 -0800 (PST)
Sunbird wrote:

|> What would be the better way of reconstituting a failed disk in windows xp?
|>
|> I have at the ready an iso, CloneZilla Live, hoping it could be so easy, but suspect not.
|> The failed disk occurred, I think, when I deleted a folder that appeared to have a file infected by virus, reported by AVG.
|>
|> I discovered it during scandisk during reboot.  I don't have the details of the failure, just that the scandisk never ended, finding umpteen zillion errors. So I aborted and then windows booted, and then kept rebooting itself.  So I figured I wrecked it.  Huge disk too.  Many apps are installed on it.  Disk L:, so not the root drive.
|>
|> So I have a usb very large external disk to backup or clone, hopefully.  But I want to do it right, so am asking for suggestions about how to go about it properly.
|>
|> I have the docs in front of me for CloneZilla, but am thinking that windows will not understand what I want to do and I will mess it up.
|>
|> -- Pat

so much to do, so little time :(