[Techtalk] apache question

Maria McKinley maria at shadlen.org
Fri Dec 4 07:42:36 UTC 2009

Hello there,

I am trying to figure out how the stuff here:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/vhosts/examples.html

actually fits into config files. I keep getting confused as to what is
suppose to go in apache2.conf, what goes into files in sites-available,
and what goes into ports.conf.

For example, am I correct in assuming that for the first example, the
first bit goes into ports.conf:

# Ensure that Apache listens on port 80
Listen 80

this goes into apache2.conf:
# Listen for virtual host requests on all IP addresses
NameVirtualHost *:80

and each of these VirtualHost directives go into their own file in
sites-available?

<VirtualHost *:80>
DocumentRoot /www/example1
ServerName www.example1.com

# Other directives here

</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>
DocumentRoot /www/example2
ServerName www.example2.org

# Other directives here

</VirtualHost>

What I want to do is have a configuration that has two ips (internal and
external), two domains on both of those ips, plus a secure site for 443
ports on both ips (but just one of the domains). I think I understand
how to do it from the examples given, but wasn't quite sure where to put
said configurations.

thanks,
maria