[Techtalk] Prodigal daughter and dual boot woes

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Fri Apr 17 05:41:18 UTC 2009

Welcome back, Amanda!

Amanda Haynes writes:
> I still have failed to successfully dual boot Kubuntu 8.1 and Vista.  After
> more forum surfing I have come to the conclusion that my shiny Dell with
> "hardware" RAID 1 is the issue.

This is all secondhand information since I don't have hardware RAID,
but I've been told that the Ubuntu (and I assume Kubuntu) Live CDs
don't handle RAID, but the "alternate installer" discs do. So you
might be able to keep your hardware RAID and still use Kubuntu.

> Thoughts?  Ideas on how to automate my backups?  I'm sure there's some
> software out there that will do it for me :)  Good virtualization software?

I don't do virtualization (my machines are too wimpy :-) but my
husband has been experimenting with it a lot and he likes virtualbox
best, though vmware also works very well. For virtualbox, if you
want things like USB device support in virtualbox, you have to use the
binary version from Sun, not the open source version (I know that
doesn't seem to make much sense, but that's how it works out).

(I should mention he's only tried virtualizing Win XP, not Vista,
so I don't know if there are any extra issues there.)

	...Akkana