[Techtalk] mysterious pops driving me nuts

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Tue Apr 14 18:40:18 UTC 2009

Ok gang, put on your telepath hats because this is a weird one. Back in my
little computer room I hear these strange pops periodically. They don't occur
very often, it's once every couple of weeks or so. It sounds like the pop
made by popping bubble wrap, or something hard hitting a window. Naturally
with a room full of electronics I worry that it's some electrical thingie.
But there is never a smell like frying electrons, just the sound. Once. The
cats and dogs barely notice it.

I have two computers, two LCD monitors, one printer, two APC backups, one
router, one DSL modem, one switch. It seems to come from the vicinity of the
second computer, so that narrows it down to one computer and one APC unit.
Maybe.

All right, this is your big chance-- trot out your wackiest theories and ideas
for tracking this down, because it could be something totally daft!

Carla
--
check out my books!