[Techtalk] HP3970 scanner with sane

Anne Wainwright anotheranne at fables.co.za
Tue Sep 2 19:35:04 UTC 2008

Hi, Akkana,

Thanks for the thought, but I have been there, see below,

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 11:04:02 -0700
Akkana wrote:

|> Anne Wainwright writes:
|> > Scanner detected by $ sane-find-scanner
|> > Scanner undetected by $ xscanimage, and whatever the k-word is for the main graphical scanner utility in the knoppix distribution (koogle?)
|>
|> It just occurred to me that you've mentioned xscanimage several
|> times but never xsane. Have you tried xsane as well? I've never had
|> much luck with xscanimage even with scanners that work. I usually
|> either run xsane from the commandline, or use the GIMP xsane plug-in.

I did try xsane 0.91, and got the following error

Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate loadable module in module_path" "libsmooth.so",

6 of these in sequence followed by

Segmentation fault.

Just out of interest and necessity combined, do any of the scanner frontends offer a 'descreen' option? I often scan book covers and the cloth used causes a moire pattern that the descreen minimises.

Anne

|> 	...Akkana

so much to do, so little time :(