[Techtalk] Starting mysql server

Anne Wainwright anotheranne at fables.co.za
Sun Oct 19 19:15:50 UTC 2008

James, hello,
see below.

On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 12:01:21 +0100
James wrote:

|> On 19 Oct 2008, at 11:55, Anne Wainwright wrote:
|>
|> > Hi, all,
|> >
|> > I am running mysql 4.1
|> >
|> > Cannot get the server mysqld to run which I trace down to a missing /
|> > var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
|> > There is no copy anywhere on the installation (just upgraded).
|> > Maybe this is by design?
|> >
|> > Any suggestions please
|>
|> That's a 'named socket', not a normal file - it's supposed to be
|> created by mysqld when it starts, then all the clients connect to
|> MySQL by opening that "file". It's a lot like a network socket, except
|> local to that machine and governed by file permissions instead of
|> firewall rules.
|>
|> The absence shouldn't make mysqld fail to start, but it could be
|> failing to create the socket: does your mysql user have write access
|> to the directory /var/run/mysqld in order to create it? Is there
|> anything helpful in the log files, or an error message when you run
|> mysqld?

 /var/run/mysqld/ is 755 so permissions should not be a problem since starting as root. (root shell opened to start up the server)

Either:

root at Pandora:/home/anotheranne# mysqld_safe
Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
mysqld_safe[2063]: started
STOPPING server from pid file /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
mysqld_safe[2068]: ended
root at Pandora:/home/anotheranne#

Or:

root at Pandora:/home/anotheranne# mysqld
081019 20:11:31 [ERROR] Can't start server : Bind on unix socket: Permission denied
081019 20:11:31 [ERROR] Do you already have another mysqld server running on socket: /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock ?
081019 20:11:31 [ERROR] Aborting
081019 20:11:31 [Note] mysqld: Shutdown complete
root at Pandora:/home/anotheranne#

And before you point out the obvious, the answer is 'No'  :)
The system monitor shows no mysql process at all.
ps -A shows no mysql daemon running
no user logins available, so no server running I would guess
Nothing in /var/log/mysql/mysql.err

(Why does Debian have everything in different directories to the mysql reference manual? grrr).
There is no panodora.err or pandora.log anywhere as suggested

As per suggestion of mysql manual since mysqld connects on port 3306

root at Pandora:/home/anotheranne# telnet pandora 3306
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Trying 192.168.0.15...
root at Pandora:/home/anotheranne#

what is using the default port 3306?
firewall? I wasn't aware that i had one
how do I determine what is using the port?

Now I really am stuck  :(

Anne

--
so much to do, so little time :(