[Techtalk] partitioning - pro, con

Miriam English mim at miriam-english.org
Tue Oct 14 00:51:34 UTC 2008

Mani A wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 6:21 AM, Miriam English <mim at miriam-english.org> wrote:
>> Anybody know of good arguments why I *should* or *should not* partition
>> the drive into a bunch of smaller areas?
>
> It depends on the type of file system being used too. Performance of a
> FS like ext3 does not scale as well as JFS. The best is to have many
> partitions using different FS and from 18GB to 90GB with 3 primaries.
> You can always use LVM.

Hmmm. I hadn't heard of JFS till I looked it up just now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JFS2
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-jfs.html
More reading for me today. :)

Why do you say it is best to have many partitions? It is what I'd always
felt because of my reluctance to put all my eggs in one basket, but over
the years most of the hard drive deaths I've had have rendered
everything inaccessible on the drive so partitioning them was almost
pointless... except when I used Windows and it would crash badly
destroying itself -- keeping data on a separate partition saved me a
number of times. I haven't had Linux die like that, though I still keep
the main OS on a separate drive and partition from my data... force of
habit.

Thanks for the suggestions Mani.

	- Miriam

--
My time wasn't completely wasted last year.
I went on a 940 million kilometer journey.