[Techtalk] Unix program that sends email directly using MX record

Wim De Smet kromagg at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 09:01:50 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 10:17 PM, Kelly Jones
<kelly.terry.jones at gmail.com> wrote:
> What Unix program sends email directly, using the MX record of the
> recipient, instead of using sendmail or an installed MTA?

I believe ssmtp does this and is a somewhat popular choice under
cygwin. I have no idea how good it is. If it's just for testing if a
mail server is working/forwarding mail correctly you can also just
telnet/netcat to it, the mail protocol in its simplest form isn't very
hard to grok. I'm assuming you thought of that though. :)

greets,
Wim