[Techtalk] GIMP vs. Photoshop

Michelle Murrain michelle at murrain.net
Sun Nov 16 21:14:37 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I've been using GIMP for quite a while now, and it works great for
everything I need it for. However, I'm about to embark on doing CMS
theming (Drupal, in particular, but also some others) and I know that
I'm going to be handed design comps done in photoshop.

I know that GIMP can open and deal with photoshop files, but I don't
really know how well it deals with them. For those folks out there who
do lots of this kind of thing (converting designers photoshop comps to
XHTML/CSS and themes) do you use GIMP? Is up to that task, or do I
need to shell out mondo bucks and get photoshop?

Experiences?

Thanks!

Peace,
Michelle