[Techtalk] LAN IP addresses changed after router reset

Wei-Yee Chan chanweiyee at gmail.com
Wed May 14 13:16:41 UTC 2008

Berenice wrote:
> What puzzles me is why my computers suddenly changed IP addresses. I've had
> this router for a while and the IP addresses have remained the same whenever
> I've restarted the router.

Do you have "always on" machines that were recently shut down or
rebooted?  If your router's DHCP function is turned on, then the router
will simply assign IP numbers arbitrarily.  Rebooting or shutting down
of the machines could have caused the change in IPs.

> The reason I prefer to have my boxes numbered 1,2,3 is that it's easier to
> remember. I've also recently set up a samba share on the Debian box, and
> changing IP addresses may affect it (I'm going to check the smb.conf later. I
> don't know exactly how samba was configured because it was done automatically
> when I installed Debian).

Set your router's DHCP server to assign the desired IPs according to
their MAC addresses.  You could refer to your manual on how to do that.

Regards,

Wei-Yee Chan
http://chanweiyee.blogspot.com/