[Techtalk] package hell: Related .deb question

Figaro ynegorp at charter.net
Wed May 7 23:17:30 UTC 2008

Okay, perhaps I could look into the scripts in the .deb and see if one
may be able comment out the pertinent files?
Generally the .deb is built by me from .rpm using:
#alien --scripts what/ever/the_program-xxx.i386.rpm.
Otherwise several vendors supply a tar ball with .rpms and a generic
.deb which sometimes calls a recompile script if something is not
exactly to 'snuff' (usually kernel version or gcc, sometimes a specific
lib., etc...).

Anyway, thank you. It would appear that i may need to dig much deeper
than my IT folk, not to mention the vendor support rep. will be happy
with ;-).

Someone suggested making a cd-rom of the .debs and use the apt-cdrom
-d=/media/cdrom0, or maybe apt-cdrom ident
Does this make sense?
Thank you,
matthew