[Techtalk] nvidia mystery

Robyn W rob_39 at bigpond.com
Sat Mar 1 04:48:49 UTC 2008

Hi

To run your own copy of the NVidia drivers and not the ones that come in
linux-restricted-modules you need to uninstall the
linux-restricted-modules and a few other packages.

Start X with the nv driver and open Synaptic and search for everything
that has the word nvidia in the name or description. Uninstall the
linux-restricted-modules, the nvidia-glx driver, the
nvidia-kernel-source and nvidia-kernel-common.

Restart the computer so that it drops any kernel modules and redo your
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.12-pkg1.run installation. It will protest saying
that it is already installed but continue anyway. It should prompt you
to changes the settings in X so let it do this and restart your computer.

This process should remove all trace of the NVidia drivers that come
with Ubuntu. The Ubuntu drivers are way out of date and you will get
better picture etc with the ones from NVidia.

The NVidia driver will have installed a program called nvidia-settings
you can run this to fine tune your X if needed but be warned to can make
X look horrible.

Cheers

Robyn

--
"Mostly, it's serious fun for free software geeks, and
anyone else who believes that Linus' Law, "given enough eyeballs, all