[Techtalk] Asus EeePC

Michelle Konzack linux4michelle at tamay-dogan.net
Mon Jun 23 23:49:42 UTC 2008

Am 2008-06-23 13:39:46, schrieb Jennifer:
> I'm so confused, it IS Xandros that is installed on the eee pc:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC
> "The Synaptic Package
> Manager<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synaptic_Package_Manager>and
> apt-get <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apt-get> can be used to install
> additional software through the
> repositories<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_repository>,
> although due to compatibility issues between the ASUS modified Xandros
> operating system and traditional Debian and Xandros repositories caution has
> been urged with some users reporting system abnormalities ranging from
> unexpected software behavior to booting
> inabilities.[55]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC#cite_note-54>
> "
>
> Of course it's a "customized" version so you don't update it the same. But
> it is Xandros.
>
> I upgraded all the software via apt when i first got it and didn't realize
> it was unionfs. Only a few icons broke. So it is possible. I think of the
> Eee pc as more of an appliance than a real laptop because of that.
>
> So remember anyone getting an Eee pc, read up about it on the eee user
> forums before breaking stuff.

Unfortunately there are to many  users  suggesting  others  to  use  the
original Debian repositories without explaining that the  CAN  run  into
trouble by "unexpected software behavior".

I have for example "Parsix" an iranien Debian derivat, "Arabix" which is
an Debian derivat from <http://www.arabeyes.org/> and I  have  UHU-Linux
an hungarien Debian derivet distribution.

Also I have gotten over 80 other "Debian-Derived" distribution CDs...

Over 90% of the packages are NOT interchangeable...

Do you know, that Debian is the most derived Distribution of the World?
Now over 480 different versions.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)