[Techtalk] pon dsl-provider deprecated at boot up time

Wim De Smet kromagg at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 20:11:28 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 6:40 PM, Anne Wainwright
<anotheranne at fables.co.za> wrote:
> Can anyone please enlighten me on how to get an automatic connection
> with my adsl line please. I have rtfm and it is pretty dense, Ill end up
> modding files all over and wrecking it even more. Some help needed
> please.

On Debian in /usr/share/doc/pppoe/ (on my system) it explains in short
in a readme:
" a) If you want your connection to come up automatically (either for an
 always-on connection or if you are using demand-dialing), add the following
 to /etc/network/interfaces:

   auto myisp
   iface myisp inet ppp
           provider dsl-provider
"

"myisp" is the interface name, you can choose anything you want for
that. dsl-provider should have the same name as the file in
/etc/ppp/peers/. pppoeconf will probably have asked you for a name
here... You can try if it works by doing "ifup myisp" (with the
connection currently down). Of course if you enable this you'll have
to disable the connection starting at boot, as it'll likely cause
something to error out at the least. All this does really is tell the
networking script to call "pon dsl-provider" when you do an ifup (or
because ot auto myisp, when you boot up) and poff when you do ifdown.
I suppose they're deprecating the old way so all the network
interfaces are configured in one central place, in a common format.

Wim