[Techtalk] User mounting of a NTFS partition

Kathryn Marks kathryn.linux at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 02:44:58 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 10:02 AM, Michelle Konzack <
linux4michelle at tamay-dogan.net> wrote:

> Evening all...
>
> Oh, it is already 3:00am <SIGH>
>
> OK, Good morning all...
>
> Am 2008-07-10 09:31:32, schrieb Kathryn Marks:
> > Morning all...
>
> :-)
>
> > [kathryn at Galaxy ~]$ mount -f -v /Vista
> > mount: only root can do that
>
> As $USER you can not use "-f" (fake mount). I find this realy anoying.
> For me it is a bug.

Oh, well then doesn't that negate its usefulness as a debugging tool?

OK.  Even if I drop the -f (why oh why can't it be used as a user???) I
still can't mount the partition.

[kathryn at Galaxy ~]$ mount /Vista
mount: only root can mount /dev/sda1 on /Vista

> And of course, you need to use "uid", "gid" and  "umask"  otherwise  you
> would be not very happy.  Also maybe "nls" and "utf8" since Vista  write
> filenames in USC2.<http://mailman.linuxchix.org/mailman/listinfo/techtalk>

Can you explain how those work (in small words please)?  I don't think I
ever got a grasp on umask.  uid and gid would just be my user and group ids?
(how to find those?).

/me notes that the mount man page I printed out from the web seems to be
missing everything on ntfs...

--
~Kathryn