[Techtalk] fstab options for removable USB disk drive

Ricardo Dalceno rddalceno at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 14:55:02 UTC 2008

Hi Deb,

The problem is with the 'defaults' option

> /dev/sdb1       /media/usbmedia         ext3
> defaults,noauto,user,errors=continue 0 2
>
> I thought noauto would keep the filesystem from being mounted at boot
> time,

Yes, you are right, but one of the 'defaults' is mounting at boot time.

and errors=continue would allow the system to continue to boot
> even if there were mount errors.

Again, one of the 'defaults' is to halt on errors

My suggestion is 'noauto,user,rw'. If your USB drive is vfat formatted, you
will need to change that 'ext3' to 'vfat' too.

Hope it could help you.

Ricardo 'j0k3r' Dalceno