[Techtalk] USB thumb drives -- VFAT vs Ext3 format

Miriam English mim at miriam-english.org
Wed Jul 2 02:44:39 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I have had to reformat one of my USB thumb drives a few times now. Most
recently when I was transferring files between my niece's WindowsXP
computer and my Linux one and her Windows machine refused to unmount the
thumb drive. She had to leave and so I removed the drive regardless,
corrupting the filesystem on it.

USB drives are generally formatted with the MSWindows VFAT filing system
because stupid MSWindows machines can't read other filesystems. What I
was wondering is would formatting them to a Linux filing system like
Ext3 would make them less prone to corruption? I know that reduces their
usefulness because I could not then plug them into MSWindows machines,
but frankly I get impatient with having to frig around with MSWindows
machines these days anyway. Most machines I deal with are Linux. Losing
the ability to connect to MSWindows would almost be a blessing.

One of the things I've noticed with VFAT is that its blindness to
upper/lower case can cause subtle problems so I'd be glad to be rid of
it on that count alone.

Anybody know whether Ext2/3 filesystems are less corruptible?

It annoys me that we must be oh-so-careful about unmounting a thumb
drive when finished reading/writing it lest the data be mangled,
wrecking the filesystem on the drive and requiring it to be reformatted.
It seems to me that this problem was solved two decades ago with floppy
disks.

Best wishes,

	- Miriam

--
My time wasn't completely wasted last year.
I went on a 940 million kilometer journey.