[Techtalk] New OpenOffice bails out at 'Welcome to OpenOffice.org" screen

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Wed Jul 2 00:11:11 UTC 2008

Ian Balchin writes:
> Now it runs in root from a terminal, but close the terminal and so does
> the instance of OOo.  Then I trid logging in as root, and it runs fine
> from the menu.
>
> So somehow there is a permissions problem?

It could be a permissions problem, but I'd more quickly suspect a
profile problem. I can't remember -- have you already tried moving
your prefs aside? Don't delete them, just rename them, Like this:

mv .openoffice.org2 .openoffice.org2.sav

Then try running it. If it runs, then you know the problem is
something in your .openoffice.org2, and you can either choose
to forget about it (if you don't have a lot of prefs already
saved) or to try substituting in one file at a time to figure
out what it is in your profile that's causing problems.

	...Akkana