[Techtalk] I just installed debian etch 4.0

Kai MacTane kmactane at gothpunk.com
Thu Jan 31 22:08:04 UTC 2008

On 1/31/2008 1:33 PM, Mr. Hardy wrote:

> things I think I need to know: what is my host name?
> [snip]
> what is my domain name?

You can find these out by running "hostname" and "hostname -f". The
first should give you just the hostname; the second will give you the
"Fully-Qualified Domain Name", or FQDN. So, if you see stuff like this:

# hostname
somehost
# hostname -f
somehost.somedomain.com

then your hostname is "somehost" and your domain name is "somedomain.com".

> when I installed debian, I gave my network or group name as the host
> name and I think I gave the computer name as the domain name. I'm
> sure this is wrong. does it even matter? can you tell me how to fix
> it by giving me the exact commands to type into the command line?

It probably does matter. In order to set the hostname, try running
"hostname newname" -- but you'll have to be root.

I don't recall how to set the domain name, aside from running an entire
DNS server. *wry grin* Sorry about that. Hopefully someone else will
chime in before your sighted helper has to leave.

                                                 --Kai MacTane