[Techtalk] managing large numbers of IP addresses, multiple name servers

Mike Robinson mrobinson at evault.com
Thu Jan 31 00:56:56 UTC 2008

I just started researching IPAM software for my company, the only open source options I've
seen so far:

IPplan: http://iptrack.sourceforge.net/
RackTables: http://racktables.org/
phpIP: http://www.phpip.net/

They all stick to a management of ip address (or rack space in the case of RackTables),
but seem to have very little integration with DNS/DHCP/etc services to give you one
management console to rule them all.  Which many of the proprietary systems seem to promise.

IPplan looks decently useful, and RackTables doesn't fit my needs though it looks
interesting.

Unfortunately for me, I've got to integrate mostly with Active Directory, which seems to
point to Bluecat Networks (http://www.bluecatnetworks.com/) or Mice & Men
(http://www.menandmice.com/).  I haven't gotten my hands on any software yet, so this is
about the extent of the commentary I can give in that direction.

m.