[Techtalk] email via memory stick?

Ian Balchin aesop at fables.co.za
Fri Jan 4 09:36:02 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have put Slackware 10 with Gnome on an oldish box for a friend.
They live 50 miles up a 100 mile dirt road with no internet
connection.

How can they do email? I am thinking that the emails are stored on a
flash stick which they then bring to me and we plug it into my
computer and send them off.

They have to have something very simple to do at their end as they
cannot cope with technicalities. (Trust me, it they still struggle
with yahoo email after years).

On my office box I have Mercury Mailserver (a Win thing, with Pegasus
Mail). I note that each email generates 2 files which are stored in a
Queue folder before being whisked off by the smtp module. Would  this
be in a standard format? ie, when any email client has done and if
the email is queued for later delivery, is the format by then
standardised.

If so we could copy her pairs of files into my Queue and off they
would go?

On the other hand maybe we need a matching smtp utility on the
flashstick, but don't see how this is going to work as we are not
running on the same platform.

Any bright ideas welcome.

Thanks
Anne--
Fables Bookshop (Proprietor: Ian Balchin) Est. 1990
119 High Street, Grahamstown, 6139, South Africa.
Tel/Fax: Shop  +27-(0)46-636-1525
Tel: Home office:  +27-(0)46-622-2474
cell:
Skype: fablesbooks    (subject to my being at the computer station).
http://www.fables.co.za/
subscribe to our email africana catalogue: