[Techtalk] Slow booting since installing NFS daemons

Rudy Zijlstra rudy at grumpydevil.homelinux.org
Sun Dec 28 23:12:34 UTC 2008

Hi,

Op zondag 28-12-2008 om 15:01 uur [tijdzone -0800], schreef Meryll
Larkin:
> I need to first confess that I am no expert and it seems to me that in
> general, you have a better handle on what is going on than I do but....
>
> I was wondering why you chose NFS for your mount instead of SAMBA?  I think
> you were right in your original assessement that the difficulty may be due
> to the fact that Debian and Ubuntu run different file systems.  Unless you
> REALLY have a bad superblock (an fsck would find that) on your laptop, I
> think the problem is that reiser is having a hard time mounting to an ext3
> directory.  Hmmm, I wonder if the lost+found dir could be a problem....

NFS has the following good properties:
- correct user management (different users have different rights on
different directories
- no problem exporting most file systems (reiser can be exported over
NFS with  no problems - doing it on all my servers)
- if well-configured, very fast. If running a mixed-speed network, it is
advisable to use "-o tcp".
- a reboot of the server gives no problems. The client will normally
wait until the server is back (and give some warnings like "server not
responding" in the log in the mean time.
- NFS is native unix/linux

> I think of NFS as being the right tool for mounting like-file systems on
> machines that rarely get rebooted (maybe once per month for updates).  I
> think of Samba as the right tool for mounting different file systems and/or
> where one of them gets rebooted or unattached on a regular basis.

- Samba easy to setup - in limited usage models
- Samba tends to be efficient on the wire
- samba does not support different users on the same computer. All
shares mounted on the same computer are supposed to have the same user
and user permissons (and especially supposed to have the same user
password). This last one can be a bit difficult when mounting to
different computers.
- samba can be merry hell to setup over different servers/networks - i
still have it not working well when operating over several subnets :(
- Samba is native windows, linux support is re-engineered (though very
well done). This does mean it's target is interoperability between
linux/windows and not so much sharing between unix/linux machines.

With respect to the original query, i simply do not have enough
information to make a guess on what is going wrong. And as i am not
using ubuntu, it is difficult for me to make guesses at the setup.

Cheers,

Rudy