[Techtalk] Slow booting since installing NFS daemons

Anne Wainwright anotheranne at fables.co.za
Sun Dec 28 21:13:29 UTC 2008

Hi,

Since installing the NFS daemons on my Ubuntu testbed Athene boot up is interrupted from the Ubuntu 'things are happening' sliding bar display.

We drop into text screen boot mode and a prominently marked [fail] in red ends the line "* Starting NFS common utilities".

Somewhat lower down the screen this appears a second time, so tried and failed again.

Then the whole boot process halts with a flashing '_' at the message "* Starting NFS kernel daemon"

When this first happened I thought I was cooked. But today with it decorating the screen as I stared pondering what to do, after about 2 or 3 minutes the processe was marked [ok] and off it went to finish the boot process.

And, yes, if you followed my other post on NFS, I am still able to read from this machine (Athene) the NFS share set up on my laptop (Pandora) but set up NFS on Athene to work the other way round if I wanted. I realise that NFS on Athene is not needed to read a share on Pandora.

I worry about the long wait, something is not right. Any ideas?

bestest
Anne

--
so much to do, so little time :(