[Techtalk] finding a warm-mist humidifier that isn't garbage

Miriam English mim at miriam-english.org
Wed Dec 24 09:16:40 UTC 2008

Hi Carla,

I have an "OdeV Water of Life" water distiller here and it seems to
humidify the air fairly well when it's running. We have highly
mineralised well water (hence the distiller) so it does build up some
crust in the large boiler, but so will anything that boils water that
has dissolved minerals. It's pretty easy to clean though. As you say,
boiling with a little bit of vinegar in the water does the trick (use
much less volume because vinegar+water boils much more easily). If you
don't need the distilled water then you can simply pour it back into the
boiler, which would eliminate the scaling problem... until you need to
top up the water with new stuff to replace the vapor lost to the atmosphere.

This machine seems pretty sturdy, though I've only had it about a year
and don't run it constantly. It holds about 6 litres, taking about 5
hours to boil all that away. It has an electronic counter on the side to
let you know how long it's been running this session and switches itself
off when done. I assume larger ones could be found which would run longer.

I don't need a humidifier so had never thought of it this way before,
and it might not dump enough vapor into the air to be what you need. The
air here is already pretty humid and I notice it becomes noticeably more
heavy when the distiller is working.

The top has a fan forcing cooling air past the distillation piping. You
could always leave the top off and just let it boil into the air instead
of collecting the water from it again. But it might be an expensive way
to have a temperature controlled, auto-off boiler with timer.

Cheers,

	- Miriam

--
My time wasn't completely wasted last year.
I went on a 940 million kilometer journey.