[Techtalk] Difficulties creating a MySQL database

Sheila Fenelon sheila at shefen.com
Sun Aug 10 15:36:15 UTC 2008

Brianna Laugher wrote:

> SQL query:
>
> -- Create Views -- ------------ -- -- A bunch or really convenient
> views for dealing with data -- -- current_memberships --
>
> MySQL said:
> #1142 - CREATE VIEW command denied to user 'wikimaus'@'localhost' for
> table 'current_memberships'
> -----------------------
>
> See that looks like a permission problem...but why would I be able to
> create tables but not views? Hmm...
>
> I will point out now that PHPMyAdmin reports this version info:
> phpMyAdmin - 2.11.6
>     * MySQL client version: 4.1.22
>
> whereas commandline mysql is 5-something, and this software does say
> it requires mysql 5. I wrote to tech support about this version
> difference (are you really supporting "mysql 5" if you disable the
> most important command-line commands...) and they just said something
> about waiting for a cpanel upgrade.

I didn't think it was possible to mix client and server versions. In any
case, "views" were introduced with MySQL 5. A MySQL client based on
MySQL 4 would not know what to do with views.

> If I create the DB on my own computer with the vanilla install
> instructions, is there some way of like importing it wholesale into
> PHPMyAdmin? I notice it has an "Import" tab but then it mentions a
> text file, so... not sure what that's really doing.

The "File to Import" would be the same as the .sql file you are trying
to work with now.

> I know one answer is probably "switch hosts" and maybe that is the
> right longterm answer, but that would be a lot of work and I want a
> solution this week or so.

Yep, move to a server where you have more control over what is installed
and what you are allowed to do.

> Cpanel also has something called 'Remote MySQL' - could I use that somehow?
> Or something else I could ask my host to enable?

No, that won't help, I think that's for allowing remote access to MySQL
running on the web host. Now you could install the database on a
different server and let the web site have access to it. But then may as
well host everything on the server with MySQL 5.

Sheila
--
http://www.shefen.com/