[Techtalk] xemacs and lenny (testing) in debian

Benjamin M. A'Lee bma+lists at subvert.org.uk
Thu Apr 17 11:38:43 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 12:08:04AM -0700, Maria McKinley wrote:
> Weirdest thing. As far as I can tell, there is no actual xemacs
> executable in any of the xemacs packages available in lenny. These are
> the only packages available with xemacs:
>
> Package xemacs21-basesupport
> Package xemacs21-basesupport-el
> Package xemacs21-mulesupport
> Package xemacs21-mulesupport-el
>
> When I look at the list of files, there are none in a bin directory, and
> it doesn't matter which one I install, I don't get xemacs. Am I missing
> something really stupid here? What the heck is going on?

I'm guessing there's been packages removed from Testing for some reason,
because there are several more in Unstable:

xemacs21
xemacs21-basesupport
xemacs21-basesupport-el
xemacs21-bin
xemacs21-gnome-mule
xemacs21-gnome-mule-canna-wnn
xemacs21-gnome-nomule
xemacs21-mule
xemacs21-mule-canna-wnn
xemacs21-mulesupport
xemacs21-mulesupport-el
xemacs21-nomule
xemacs21-support
xemacs21-supportel

The packages you've listed apparently just contain some of the elisp
files.

Benjamin M. A'Lee || mail: bma at subvert.org.uk
web: http://subvert.org.uk/~bma/ || gpg: 0xBB6D2FA0
"For if a thing is not diminished by being shared with others, it is not
rightly owned if it is only owned and not shared." -- St. Augustinus