[Techtalk] Need Suggestions: How To Multi-Language ?

Figaro ynegorp at charter.net
Sun Apr 13 21:53:48 UTC 2008

Hello all.
I am in dire need of suggestions, pointers, etc.
suddenly have an emerging need to learn to read and write Ukrainian and
Korean concurrently.

I am hoping there may be a way to run several instances of oo.org. and
gnome0term., or konsole and emacs with different language and keyboard
setups from within my existing Debian SID machine.

My thinking is that perhaps a way would be to create several new users
each with a locale set to one of the languages, but this would not (as
far as I understand) allow me to run them concurrently as individual
x-sessions enabling one to simply ctrl-alt-F?(something) between
them..or would it?

Another thought would be to see if it is possible to boot a Knoppix dvd
from within my running machine. I think one could select the desired
language setup through the cheat codes at Knoppix boot up... but is this
possible either?

I suppose if absolutely required one could figure something out with a
VMWare setup to run several different Debian installations, but this
sounds like a whole bunch of grief and likely much trouble to config.
and keep up dated.

I have not seen any information on multi-language setups that allow on
the fly toggle from one environment to another... though one is not sure
what to look for, either. Certainly there must have been and continue to
be persons juggling multiple translation tasks as their daily "bread" as
it were.

Anyway, one can imagine a very useful live distro optimized for
concurrent multi-language work and learning.

Any suggestions what is presently possible?
Thank you, in advance.
matthew
PS: stand alone machine, not part of a network.