[Techtalk] tomsrtbt

Rudy Zijlstra rudy at grumpydevil.homelinux.org
Wed Sep 12 07:44:47 UTC 2007

Maria McKinley wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> I've been using tomsrtbt for years to do e2fsck on questionable drives,
> but I may have hit the end of its usefulness. I used it today, and got
> the messge that the file system had new features not supported by the
> e2fsck on tomsrtbt. Judging from his website, I'd say the project has
> been abandoned. Anyone have a suggestion for a more up-to-date bootable
> rescue sort of distro? I prefer one that fits on a floppy, since some of
> my machines don't have cd readers on them, but for the short term with
> this particular machine, I could use one from a cd.
>
> thanks,
> maria

The Slackware install CD or DVD can be used as a rescue image. Normally
i am booting it from the network, but have to create some this time as i
will be changing raid controllers on my netboot server :(

Creating them from floppy is now-adays very difficult, as most 2.6 and
later 2.4 kernels do not really fit on a floppy :(

Slackware 12 contains instructions on how to boot from USB. Could that
help you?

Rudy