[Techtalk] Leaving Win$ for linux.

Tracey C grrliegeek at elenari.net
Tue Oct 30 16:21:52 UTC 2007

I don't know much about Paradox but I'm familiar with Pegasus, having used
it heavily once upon a time and trialed it more recently. Apparently the
author was amenable to trying to make it Open Source but hasn't found a
solution to the barriers involved since the last update in 2005. I'm
assuming, therefore, that waiting for Pegasus to be released for Linux is
not an option right now.
http://www.pmail.com/sundry/pmlinux.htm

It's unfortunate that Linux clients really don't come close to the filtering
power of Pegasus or the Bat through the GUI. Perhaps the authors expect you
to set up procmail filters or whatnot. The fact remains that powerful
filters with Boolean logic are easy to set up in Pegasus but can't be set up
in other clients. This is a personal peeve of mine as well, since I
absolutely loved the filtering capabilities of The Bat and Pegasus.

The way I see it, you have two options for e-mail:
1 - compromise and use a gui client which has most of what you want.
Possibly write procmail filters. Possibly find alternatives to some of the
other functions in Pegasus you really want. Possibly live without certain
features.

2 - run Pegasus under WINE. This avoids the security problems of a full
blown copy of Windows while allowing you to run (some) things that require
Windows.

My 2 cents
Tracey Clark