[Techtalk] Getting Java running properly on Slackware 10

turtle dreaded.night.turtle at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 05:25:18 UTC 2007

> Turtle,
> You can try these commands to locate the java binaries:
> $ which javac
> or
> $ locate javac
>
> Once you have the location of the binary then test your program with
> $ /xxx/xxx/xxx/javac HelloWorld.java
>
> If you have a package line in your code then do
> $/xxx/xxx/xxx/javac packageDir/HelloWorld.java
>
> If everything works then add the location of the java binary to your
> .bashrc
> file.
>
> --Tricia

Thank you for your help.  I have another question.

When I use locate javac, I get:

turtle at turtle:~$ locate javac
/usr/lib/epiphany/2.16/extensions/libjavaconsoleextension.so
/usr/lib/epiphany/2.16/extensions/libjavaconsoleextension.la
/usr/share/vim/vim70/compiler/javac.vim
/usr/share/vim/vim70/syntax/javacc.vim
/jdk1.6.0/bin/javac
/jdk1.6.0/sample/javac
/jdk1.6.0/sample/javac/processing
/jdk1.6.0/sample/javac/processing/src
/jdk1.6.0/sample/javac/processing/src/CheckNamesProcessor.java
/jdk1.6.0/man/man1/javac.1
/jdk1.6.0/man/ja_JP.eucJP/man1/javac.1
turtle at turtle:~$

Which one (if any) is the binary file?