[Techtalk] Mail Hosting

Figaro ynegorp at charter.net
Wed Nov 28 22:19:45 UTC 2007

Raquel wrote:>

> Matthew,
>
> The first thing to do is to check with Charter.net to see if they
> will allow you to run a mail server on their system (on your
> machine).  Many of the cable companies do not allow you that.  Do
> they block port 25?

Charter claims not to block any ports, however running any of the online
portscanners shows everything is hidden" or stealthy.
I have used Firestarter in the past. Recently though it segfaults and
I've not been able to find why or pertinent bug reports logged for it.
#ps ax does not show it running... but I suppose that in as much as it
should run at boot up..?
I'll read the /var/log/dmesg files to see what gives.
Unless you suggest another more fool proof  verification.

I suppose another viable option is a hosting company offering virtual
server setups.. all the rage today. Or just a simple old fashioned
hosted mail server.
I would still like to edit my machine to reflect the purchased domain
name and point the dhcp and dns stuff to be valid.
Thank you,
matthew

> Secure
> 21 (FTP)
>
> This port is completely invisible to the outside world.
>

> Secure
> 23 (Telnet)
>
> This port is completely invisible to the outside world.

> Secure
> 25 (SMTP Mail Server Port)
>
> This port is completely invisible to the outside world.
>
> Secure
> 79 (Finger)
>
> This port is completely invisible to the outside world.

> Secure
> 80 (HTTP)
>
> This port is completely invisible to the outside world.

> Secure
> 110 (POP3 Mail Server Port)
>
> This port is completely invisible to the outside world.

> Secure
> 139 (Net BIOS)
>
> This port is completely invisible to the outside world.

> Secure
> 143 (IMAP)
>
> This port is completely invisible to the outside world.

> Secure
> 443 (HTTPS)
>
> This port is completely invisible to the outside world.
Test complete.