[Techtalk] mail records, bind9

Maria McKinley maria at shadlen.org
Thu Nov 8 23:55:50 UTC 2007

R. Daneel Olivaw wrote:
> Hi there,
>

>>I have become confused about mail and dns, because various places
>>that I have looked refer to DNS entries for sending and receiving
>>mail as if they are separate things, but without being explicit about
>>it. I know that I need an MX entry for my mail server (receiving
>>mail), and am also suppose to have a SPF record. Do I also need an
>>entry (other than an A record) for machines that only send mail? Also
>>is there any advantage/disadvantage to using ips vs. hostnames in the
>>SPF records?
>

> SPF records are an "addon" for email sending, but if you're
> already confused with standard A & MX records, let's start it "simple"
>
> First, 'A' records do only one thing : refer a host name to an ip
> address. I ask for 'blah.example.com', and it returns x.y.z.t an IP
> address.
> You may set an 'A' record for any host you're using, maybe even
> more than one per host (we're simplifying here : one host = one IP).
>
> For this to work with e-mail sending, an e-mail address should look
> like this : 'user at blah.example.com'. This looks obvious, but having one
> e-mail server for every user is not a solution, and people wanted to
> group the e-mail receiving/storing function, grouping things around the
> domain name part of a host ('example.com' here).
> This means, when an e-mail server wants to send an e-mail to
> 'user at example.com', there shall be a way to 'ask' what host
> specifically will collect e-mails for that domain.
> Here it is where MX records are needed. Instead of asking the DNS
> system (I'll skip the recursive searching stuff) for a host-to-ip
> conversion, the e-mail server will ask for the 'MX' record (there
> usually is more than one record, but let's admit there is just one).
> The DNS system will answer "the host that handles mail for my domain,
> is called 'blah.example.com'".
> Now, the e-mail server still needs to know the ip address of the mail
> server, and therefore will ask for a simple host-to-ip resolution,
> getting x.y.z.t as a response (same as above).
> At last we know the ip address, we will connect to port 25 (smtp),
> talk to the remote mailserver and try to deliver the e-mails.
>
> Diggin' into the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol.
> Setting up things: We are a mailserver, our domain is ALPHA.COM.
> Some user (USER1) sends and email to USER2 at BETA.COM.
> We (the mailserver) will try to send it:
> 1/ get the MX record(s) for domaine BETA.COM
> => MX for BETA.COM is MAIL.BETA.COM
> 2/ get the ip address for MAIL.BETA.COM
> => MAIL.BETA.COM has ip address 1.2.3.4
> 3/ connect to MAIL.BETA.COM on port 25
> first thing we do is : say hello !
> HELO ALPHA.COM
> (here we tell the server what our domain is)
> the server answers something like
> 250 Hello ALPHA.COM
> (very nice to meet you, waddaya want ?)
> and so on we discuss things, like sender address, target address,
> e-mail body, ...

> [...]

Thanks for the overview, it is helpful. Maybe I can explain what we have
set up a bit better. We have a spam filter on our smtp port, which meant
that not only was all incoming mail being filtered through spamassassin,
but all outgoing mail from local mail users was as well. So, we set up a
second smtp port on a different ip address. The first one was still
advertised to the world on our mx record as being our mail server, and
received and filtered mail. The second one is what users for sending
mail, and it is not filtered. So, these are the relevant entries in
master.cf

smtp      inet  n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
   -o content_filter=sfilter:
smtp.shadlen.org:587       inet  n       -       n       -       -
   smtpd

So, users are welcome to use another port for sending mail, but their
outgoing mail is then sent through the spam filter. What I don't want is
people sending email to our domain to send it to smtp.shadlen.org:587,
and thus bypassing the spam filter for incoming mail. It seems the first
way to do this is to make sure I am not advertising smtp.shadlen.org as
a host that is receiving mail, so there is no mx record for it. I'm
wondering if there is anything else I should/should not do regarding dns
so people don't get the idea to send email there. Then, I will look at
postfix to see about actually blocking incoming mail to this port, or at
least monitoring it. It seems like all of our incoming mail at this
point is going through the filter, so I think I am ok, but I am moving
my mail server to a new machine, and just want to make sure I have stuff
set up properly from the get-go. Looking through my postfix config, I
think I may see something wrong. I have myhostname set to
smtp.shadlen.org, and I think it should be mail.shadlen.org (which is
what the mx record is under).

Sorry for the lengthy post, and thanks for the help.

Maria