[Techtalk] mail records, bind9

Maria McKinley maria at shadlen.org
Thu Nov 8 02:57:36 UTC 2007

Hey there,

I have become confused about mail and dns, because various places that I
have looked refer to DNS entries for sending and receiving mail as if
they are separate things, but without being explicit about it. I know
that I need an MX entry for my mail server (receiving mail), and am also
suppose to have a SPF record. Do I also need an entry (other than an A
record) for machines that only send mail? Also is there any
advantage/disadvantage to using ips vs. hostnames in the SPF records?

I was having problems with mail we were sending being sent through our
spam filter on its way out, so I created a new hostname and ip on the
same machine to be used for sending mail only, and I want to make sure
that we aren't receiving mail at this ip/hostname.

thanks,
maria