[Techtalk] power supply question

Lucia Sanchez lu at gusilu.net
Wed May 2 21:26:24 UTC 2007

Maria McKinley wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> Random question. Some power supplies have a little four sprocket
> connector thing (not the little fan connector) that goes on the
> motherboard in addition to the big connector. How can I tell if a power
> supply I am purchasing has this connector? Is there some code or something?

I needed one of those, and had to go to the store with the old power
supply, as I didn't know how to describe the extra connector.

>From what the guy at the store told me, motherboards and supplys with it
were only made for about one year when it was supposed to be the
"future" and then it was promptly abandoned.

So, if the guys at the store you go to are not very knowledgeable, they
won't know what you're talking about.  I would recommend you take the
old supply with you, and directly try to talk with someone.  Because if
they have it, it will be old, and almost surely not on display.

Good luck!
--
Lu.