[Techtalk] "bind to reserved port" error

David Sumbler david at aeolia.co.uk
Tue Mar 27 15:16:00 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 16:53 +0200, Wim De Smet wrote:

> plpnfsd is probably trying to register another port and that's where
> things are going wrong. I'm not intimate with the software but
> depending on what it does you either need to run it as root or find a
> way to have it bind to another port. Mind you this is not port 7501
> which is claimed by ncpd. At least that's how I understand it from
> your previous mail.

No, it is 7501.  It has to be the same as the one used by ncpd (although
I have tried using different ports, above 1024 - it fails!)  As the
plpnfsd man page says for the -p option:

-p, --port=[host:]port
Specify  the host and port to connect to (e.g. the port where ncpd is
listening on) - by default the host is 127.0.0.1 and the port is looked
up in /etc/services. If it is not found there, a fall-back builtin of
7501.

David

--
David Sumbler <david at aeolia.co.uk>