[Techtalk] How to change Gnome's mimetype handling

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Sun Mar 4 01:01:06 UTC 2007

Wim De Smet writes:
> On 3/3/07, Eeva Järvinen <eevaj at welho.com> wrote:
> >I'd also benefit from the info how one changes Gnome's behaviour with
> >mimetypes in general, because I'd like to add a system-wide mimetype
> >for Zilog Z80 core images, too.
>
> I *think* all this is handled by gconf and gnomevfs somewhere. I'd
> have to do some looking around to know just where it stores stuff,
> though the standard mime database might be a good starting point.

The standard system mime type database is in /etc/mime.types,
with applications for each mime type specified in /etc/mailcap.

Gnome may also have mime type files of its own, but even if it does,
it may use the systemwide files for defaults. And these files are
just simple text files so they're easy to modify.

You might have to restart your desktop before Gnome will pick up
changes to the files.

--
    ...Akkana
    "Beginning GIMP: From Novice to Professional": http://gimpbook.com